Friday, September 19, 2014



[Eighth Female Post]  One of you asked, "Is there anyone who doesn't love Prague?" Well, yes, two of us now... Prague has fallen victim to its own popularity. Yes, it's still breathtakingly beautiful, maybe surpassing Paris. But you can barely see the beauty for the hordes of tourists. German, French, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, and fewer Anglophones, though English is the predominant shared language in stores, etc. The schlock shops are endless, and it's a game of dodgeball trying to cross the famous Charles Bridge, near which we're staying. What can it have been like in summertime? I've been unable to visit the Jewish quarter for the throngs, and the Castle is reputedly impossible unless you arrive at 8 am and wait in front of the gates. Of course, we're unable to get up that early... Fortunately the weather's been perfect, or we'd be morose.

Then there's the disappointment of our "apartment," which looked so good on vrbo but is dark, dreary, and depressing. Oh, I forgot dirty! It is basically a hostel-type accommodation; we didn't realize that $100/night is a pittance in Prague, so we got what we paid for. We're adjusting. I hope. Tried to cook a meal last night: lots of frustration with not great results, despite the fresh porcini I bought. Tonight I'll try something that doesn't require more than a 6-inch pot...

We had one good meal here, at a French bistro, but the Czech cuisine doesn't appeal—everything is extremely heavy, your basic meat and potatoes/dumplings/noodles. One restaurant advertises its pork knuckle unappealingly as "Pig's Knees." The crepes and croissants I've tried make me sad. Thank God there's a (British) Tesco market here to shop in for basics, though. And the beer is truly delicious!

Pamela met a baby boar in Wenceslas Square! Fed him, too!!

[Male note: she failed to mention the "beef cheeks" on all the menus.  Yummay!]


I'm not posting many photos, as Paul's done a great job with that now that he's figured out how to transfer his from our new smartphone. We did enjoy (especially moi) the Alfons Mucha museum yesterday (the Czech artist whose name is synonymous with Art Nouveau). 

[Male comment: Mucha was a genius.  Go to: http://www.alfonsmucha.org]

Decorative Arts Museum

And I spent a wonderful hour or so in the Decorative Arts Museum, from whose windows I was able to see the Old Jewish Cemetery without the crowds and the $25 admission fee... Today I'll visit the Kafka Museum and try to find the various spots in the city that were important to him. It's a unique way to navigate streets: turning away from those that are clogged with people and seeking alternative routes. Tiring, because roundabout, but easier on the spirit.

St. George and the dragon on an apt. building




No comments:

Post a Comment