Wednesday, February 1, 2017





FEMALE

Sunday, Jan. 29

Wah! I miss Paree! Well, I'm sure we'll be fine here in Seville once
we are more familiar with it. But the change in food offerings alone
is a huge takeaway. Tried to find some good cheese in a small
supermarket, and the best I could find was an inferior French brie...
snore. However, it's Sunday, and most stores are closed. Cafés are
thronged with Sunday celebrants drinking the excellent local Cruzcampo
beer, children are running amok, and the tapas scene has yet to get
going. Everything is astonishingly cheap--Paul says we're in reverse
sticker shock. (But what is there to buy?) It's 55 degrees and the
sun's out, which is more than Parisians are experiencing.

Our vrbo rental is just $67/night for a full apartment, well located,
nice landlord. However, we're still trying to heat it up, and it's
pretty dark... a cave, actually. I plan to buy stronger light bulbs
tomorrow, and maybe an entire lamp. The decor is fairly strange--our
landlord says a decorator was hired. Hmmm. See photo.

I'm having more trouble (so far) with the different Spanish here than
I expected. Vamos a ver, but they do use the lisping "theta" of
Castille, which combined with rapid delivery makes their discourse
hard to follow. I suspect they find our Spanish equally odd.

Tuesday, Jan. 31

All is forgiven: we love Seville! Yesterday it was sunny and warm
(68ºF), and we walked ourselves silly. In part because we went in
circles most of the time. I swear it's easier to get lost here than in
Venice! NO right angles, constant name changes on the same short
street, no sense of compass points: even our taxista from the airport
said he had no idea where north was!  One older man, practicing his
English, tried to help us with directions by saying, "You go to a big
building and turn left down a little street." I had to laugh; that
could describe any corner!

We are well out of the touristy area but within walking distance: that
central part of town is almost unbearably cute, apart from being
peppered with huge, gorgeous castles and churches. I'm sure you'll be
skimming through our photos saying, "Ho, hum!," but we couldn't
resist. Our late risings are out of synch with the hours here: there's
a long siesta about the time we get out, then shops open again around
5 until 9 or so. And no one (except tourists) dines before 8. We were
urged to arrive at a recommended restaurant last night at 7, and were
almost the first guests. Then it filled up with a few gringos and
mostly hoards of Koreans... the locals would arrive much later.

Castillian Spanish comes easier to my ear now, and although people
don't greet you in the street, once you enter into conversation they
can be almost as fun as Mexicans. And I found some killer pastries
down the street from us. Last night's meal was a tad nouveau for me,
but tasty... and again, cheap! Oops—almost forgot to mention that most
streets are lined with bitter orange (for marmalade) trees, looking
like Xmas lollipops. And of course the ubiquitous tiled entryways and
courtyards... the place is lousy with tile!


What am I doing here?

El Rinconcillo (1670), Pamela (70)


Those are hams hanging overhead



Our tab @ El Rinconcillo

Sevilla Cathedral by night



Giralda by night


Giralda

Bar Estrella
Late-night dinner w/Toros (and strangers)

Más Toros


Church in our 'hood

1 comment: